There are several types of sharks that can be found in the waters around Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. Some of the most common types of sharks that are caught or spotted in this area include:
1. Blacktip shark - These sharks are commonly found in shallow waters and can grow up to 6 feet in length.
2. Atlantic sharpnose shark - These small sharks are usually around 3-4 feet in length and are often caught by anglers fishing in the area.
3. Bonnethead shark - These sharks are a type of hammerhead shark and are commonly found in the shallow waters around Hilton Head Island.
4. Tiger shark - Although less common than some of the other species, tiger sharks have been known to inhabit the waters around Hilton Head Island. These sharks can grow up to 14 feet in length and are considered one of the most dangerous shark species.
5. Bull shark - These sharks are known for their aggressive behavior and can be found in both saltwater and freshwater environments. They can grow up to 11 feet in length and are one of the more dangerous shark species.
It's important to note that while sharks can be found in the waters around Hilton Head Island, shark attacks are rare. Swimmers and surfers should always exercise caution and be aware of their surroundings when in the water.