1. Tarpon are a popular gamefish and are highly sought after by anglers due to their impressive size and fighting ability.
2. They are also known as the "silver king" due to their silver color and size.
3. Tarpon can grow up to 8 feet long and weigh over 280 pounds.
4. They are found in the Atlantic Ocean, Gulf of Mexico, and the Caribbean Sea, but they are also known to enter freshwater rivers and estuaries.
5. Tarpon are air breathers, which means they can gulp air from the surface of the water to supplement their oxygen needs.
6. They have a unique ability to survive in both freshwater and saltwater environments due to their unique osmoregulatory abilities.
7. Tarpon are known for their spectacular leaps out of the water, which makes them a popular species for sport fishing.
8. They have a lifespan of up to 80 years.
9. Tarpon are known to feed on a variety of prey, including crabs, shrimp, and small fish.
10. Tarpon have a bony mouth, making it difficult to hook them, and they are known for their acrobatic leaps when hooked, making them a challenging fish to catch.