Hilton Head Island, located off the coast of South Carolina, is a popular destination for anglers who are interested in catching bonnethead sharks. Here are some things to know about bonnethead shark fishing in Hilton Head Island:
1. Best time to fish: The best time to fish for bonnethead sharks in Hilton Head Island is during the summer months, from June to August. During this time, the water is warmer and the sharks are more active.
2. Fishing methods: Bonnethead sharks can be caught using a variety of fishing methods, including live bait, cut bait, and artificial lures. They are also known to be attracted to chum, which can be used to lure them closer to the boat.
3. Fishing locations: Bonnethead sharks can be found in a variety of locations around Hilton Head Island, including inshore bays, estuaries, and shallow water flats. They are often found in areas where there is a lot of seagrass, which is a staple of their diet
4. Equipment: To catch bonnethead sharks, you will need a medium to heavy rod and reel, with a strong fishing line and a sharp hook. It is also recommended to use a wire leader to prevent the shark from biting through the line.
5. Catch and release: Bonnethead sharks are not typically kept for food, as they have a strong flavor and a small amount of meat. Instead, most anglers practice catch and release, which involves carefully removing the hook and releasing the shark back into the water.
In conclusion, Hilton Head Island offers excellent opportunities for anglers who are interested in catching bonnethead sharks. With the right equipment and fishing techniques, you can experience the thrill of catching these unique and fascinating sharks while also practicing responsible fishing practices.